USCCA Instructor Certification Process
First the money stuff :: The total is just under $600. The online ‘E-learning’ portion is $103, and the toolkit is $147, if purchased together, for a subtotal of $250. (The USCCA website may say $277 for the toolkit. Ignore that. That's only the price if you are NOT taking the Instructor Development Course; but you are, so you get the special deal !!!) These are purchased from the USCCA.
The actual classroom, 2-day course (my part) is $347, which when added to the toolkit's 250; equals $597.00. I don’t think the toolkit is technically REQUIRED for certification, but is a good idea. If you will be teaching a class, then it IS required, as it contains books, a shirt, a hat Concealed Carry demo magazines, and access to the PowerPoint content.
So, your very first class, with only 4 students, each at $150 --- pays for your certification. After that :: ALL PROFIT.
Now, if you still are interested . . .
Steps To Become A Certified Instructor
1. Activate and complete the USCCA Concealed Carry & Home Defense Fundamentals eLearning module by calling the USCCA at 1-877-577-4800.
At this time, you will also purchase your USCCA Instructor Toolkit which includes your classroom presentation PowerPoint, 10 copies of Concealed Carry & Home Defense Fundamentals by Michael Martin, a classroom poster, 10 copies of Concealed Carry Magazine, and a USCCA Instructor Polo and range cap.
Call 1-877-577-4800 to purchase your eLearning module and to order your toolkit. Instructor candidates can purchase these together at a discounted price. (You will receive your toolkit after completing Step 3, the USCCA Instructor Certification Course.)
2. Find and Sign up for a USCCA Instructor Certification class with a USCCA Training Counselor near you.
3. Attend a USCCA Instructor Certification course with a USCCA Training Counselor and qualify by passing both live fire and written examinations. You will receive your toolkit after completing the USCCA Instructor Certification Course.
For Step 1; I spent probably 20 to 30 hours doing the online portion, but I read at a snail’s pace. Also, I wanted to absorb every last detail, and that added some extra time, too.
For Step 2; That’s me (Eric Welsh). CLICK HERE.
For Step 3; The next upcoming classes are in September of 2019. (But the online part needs to be complete a week or two in advance.)
Materials needed for the 2-day class at ACC ::
· Pens / Pencils
· Pop, if you have a favorite
· Lunch, and snacks
· Your carry gear, incl. gun, holster, mags, and mag carriers
· 50 rounds ammo(of which only 30 or so actually will be used)
· A happy, positive attitude
The address of ACC is:: 29595 Leonard Road, Atlanta IN 46031
A syllabus will follow the class outline ::
A. Introductions / Code of Conduct
B. Instruction Best Practices
C. The Nuts and Bolts of being an Certified Instructor with the USCCA
1. Developing A Personal & Home Protection Plan
2. Self-Defense Firearms Basics
3. Defensive Shooting Fundamentals
4. The Legal Use of Force
5. Violent Encounters And Their Aftermath
6. Gear And Gadgets
7. Basic And Advanced Skills
8. Inside School Shootings: What We’ve Learned
9. Emergency First Aid: Become Your Own First Responder
Primarily, we will be working on HOW TO TEACH that lesson plan.
Below is the magazine loading tool we use in Basic Handgun classes. Absolutely worth its weight in silver. Amazon Prime eligible. $24.00 to $37.00, depending on what color you want.
Below are some of my certifications/degrees/achievements from over the years.