First the money stuff :: The total is just under $600. (The online ‘E-learning’ portion is $147and the toolkit is $103, if purchased together, for a subtotal of $250 (from the USCCA). The actual classroom, 2-day course (my part) is $347, totaling $597.00). I don’t think the toolkit is technically REQUIRED for certification, but is a good idea. If you will be teaching a class, then it IS required, as it contains books and the PowerPoint content, among other things.
So, your very first class, with only 4 students, each at $150 --- pays for your certification. Past that :: ALL PROFIT.
Now, the details . . .
Steps To Become A Certified Instructor ::
1. Activate and complete the USCCA Concealed Carry & Home Defense Fundamentals eLearning module.
At this time, you will also purchase your USCCA Instructor Toolkit which includes your classroom presentation PowerPoint, 10 copies of Concealed Carry & Home Defense Fundamentals by Michael Martin, a classroom poster, 10 copies of Concealed Carry Magazine, and a USCCA Instructor Polo and range cap.
Call 1-877-577-4800 to purchase your eLearning module and to order your toolkit. Instructor candidates can purchase these together at a discounted price. (You will receive your toolkit after completing Step 3, the USCCA Instructor Certification Course.)
2. Find and Sign up for a USCCA Instructor Certification class with a USCCA Training Counselor near you.
3. Attend a USCCA Instructor Certification course with a USCCA Training Counselor and qualify by passing both live fire and written examinations. You will receive your toolkit after completing the USCCA Instructor Certification Course.
For Step 1; I spent probably 20 to 30 hours doing the online portion, but I am dyslexic, so I read at a snail’s pace. Also, I wanted to absorb every last detail, and that added some extra time, too.
For Step 2; That’s me (Eric Welsh).
For Step 3; This is the live, in-person class time that you signed up for. (But the online part needs to be complete 3 weeks in advance.)
Materials needed for the 2-day class at ACC ::
· Pens / Pencils
· Pop, if you have a favorite
· Lunch, and snacks
· Your carry gear, incl. gun, holster, magazines, and mag carriers
· 50 rounds ammo
· A happy, positive attitude
· ACC’s address is :: 29595 Leonard Road, Atlanta IN46031
A syllabus will include ::
A. Instructor Development :: Instructor Mistakes and How to Avoid Them.
B. Instructor Development :: Teaching Best Practices.
C. Practical Exercise :: Teaching using the Personal Method.
D. Instructor Development :: Managing a Safe Live Fire Range.
E. Practical Exercise :: Virtual Range Practical Exercise.
And utilize highlights from the class outline ::
1. Developing A Personal & Home Protection Plan
2. Self-Defense Firearms Basics
3. Defensive Shooting Fundamentals
4. The Legal Use of Force
5. Violent Encounters And Their Aftermath
6. Gear And Gadgets
7. Basic And Advanced Skills
8. Inside School Shootings: What We’ve Learned
9. Emergency First Aid: Become Your Own First Responder
With 1 – 5 from the above, we will be working on HOW TO TEACH that lesson plan.